December 16, 2012

Day 6: Melt-In-Your-Mouth Buttermilk Chocolate Cookies


I have a friend I met back in college that once told me something I thought was interesting. He told me that he didn't like chocolate. This news kind of took me by surprise. I mean, I understand that not everyone can like the same kinds of things, obviously. But I guess I just assumed that everyone liked chocolate, and those that stayed away from it were either: 1. allergic to it, 2. unhappy that they broke out with acne from it, or 3. afraid of putting on an unhealthy amount of weight from eating too much of it. He just didn't like it because it wasn't sweet, as opposed to vanilla.

I, on the other hand, am not a huge fan of vanilla flavored pastries because I do think they are too sweet. Vanilla/French vanilla ice cream is alright, though, because it's mild on the sugary scale with enough room for you to top it with fruits, flavored syrup(s), or hot fudge, of course.


I do love chocolate, dark chocolate. Not super-dark, but 60% cocoa is usually just right. And today's cookie is absolutely there. I honestly didn't know what to expect while in the process of making today's cookie. It looked like it was going down the road of chocolate overload (is that even possible?). However, Day 6 of my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies will surprise you.

You know how Oreo is milk's best friend? Well, I kind of feel like this buttermilk chocolate cookie is milk's good-looking husband. Round, dark, with a handsome texture. Seriously the perfect cookie to go with milk for an after-dinner dessert. Or better yet, a midnight snack. If you love chocolate, of course.



Melt-In-Your-Mouth Buttermilk Chocolate Cookies
Makes 3 1/2 dozen cookies

ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 cups chocolate chips

equipment prep
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line your baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.

make the dough
1. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. Melt the butter in the microwave. In a large bowl, combine the melted and still-warm butter with the cocoa powder and whisk until very smooth.
3. Whisk in the sugar, vanilla extract, and buttermilk.
4. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients until well combined.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips until well distributed.

bake
1. Drop about 2 teaspoons of dough two inches from each other on your prepared baking sheet.
2. Bake the cookies at for 350°F 10-12 minutes, until the edges are set.
3. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.

*** ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments, questions, suggestions, stories, anything! I would love to hear from you!