September 1, 2010

Bittersweet Departure

After a good long many months, my stint as an amateur professional pastry chef has come to an end. I'll have to admit, it sure was one heck of a crazy way to go out. And all I did was put in a week's worth of slaving in the kitchen and a final 13.5-hour workday executing a big event for my one last big bang working at a restaurant: an Emmy Awards after party.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any of the famous party-goers as I was so diligently working in my underground cave. However, some of the servers were so kind as to tell my assistant and me about the beautiful faces they saw in the house. But of course! Hollywood people are always so glam and glitzy



Alas, my time was up and I eventually had to say my goodbyes in the wee hours of the next day. It was like Cinderella's spell had broken in the wee hours of the morning. But of course, I didn't leave without taking some of the leftover sweet and savory goodies home with me. I can't really say that working at a restaurant was any beneficial to my waistline. But who cares when your tummy is all warm and happy, right?




This last bit may bore you to death, but I'd like to recount my favorite memories on the job:
  • When we have a big event for the night, you can always count on the guys to be grilling some tacos and quesadillas a few hours before the hustle. Nothing was more beautiful than that calm before the storm.
  • Chit chats with my pastry mentor in the alley during our breaks. What I would give to have her skills and efficiency in the kitchen.
  • Chit chats with my supervisor/mentor on the job. What I would give to have her wisdom and calm demeanor in the kitchen.
  • Chit chats with my partner-in-crime assistant. FELLOW BRUIN IN THE HOUSE! And this woman is a HOOT!
  • Food exchanges with the guys.
  • All the smells and sounds in the kitchen. I secretly enjoyed listening to some of the guys belt out the most current ballad/reggaeton song/whatever-got-stuck-in-their-head.
  • Hanging out in the dining area after hours.
There's much more but I think I'll leave it at that.
Someday I'd love to drop in again and say hello. Until then...happy baking to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments, questions, suggestions, stories, anything! I would love to hear from you!