December 10, 2012

Day 1: Chocolate Chip Cookies


Yes, I know...what a shame that I've put on my invisibility cloak for the last few weeks once again. This time, however, I do have an unfortunate excuse. The weekend of Thanksgiving, I was all ready to share my new favorite macaroni and cheese recipe and talk about pies. And all the while in the frenzied midst of baking cookies the night after Thanksgiving, I accidentally spilled soda on my laptop.

*fizz*
*PEW!*
*silence*

My laptop shut down before I could even react.
Before I could even unplug it.
Before I could even do anything.
Before I could even process what had just happened.

And just like that, it was gone. The worst of the worst that could have happened to it, did happen. Everything was fried and the hard drive couldn't even be salvaged; it was a total burnt bust. It was just my luck that what little soda had spilled was on the side of where the adapter plugs into my laptop. Go figure.

Anyhow, I managed to find a not-as-perfect-but-good-enough replacement. So for the past few weeks I've been trying to adjust to Windows 8 and figure out what lost files I have actually emailed to myself so I can retrieve as much as possible. I think adjusting to Windows 8 is still going to take some time, but what I like about it so far are the apps I can download. I feel like I'm actually more efficient in my work now!

In regards to upcoming holiday festivities, end-of-the-world shenanigans and whatnot, this year I want to do 12 Days of Christmas Cookies. And what better way than to start off with a classic: chocolate chip cookies! Last year I had a different chocolate chip cookie recipe up, but I eventually figured that per that recipe, bread flour didn't seem like a common ingredient in everyone's pantry. I remember going out to buy bread flour just to make the cookies. So this year I want to do a simpler recipe. It turned out just as delicious!



Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 4 1/2 dozen cookies

ingredients
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons hot water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

make the dough
1. Cream together the butter and both sugars.
2. Beat in the eggs one at a time, the add the vanilla extract.
3. Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water and add it to the butter mixture, along with the salt.
4. Gradually add the flour until just combined
5. Fold in the chocolate chips and mix until everything is well combined.
6. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

equipment prep
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line your baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.

bake
1. Roll 2 teaspoons of dough into a ball and place on your prepared baking sheet. Be sure to space your cookies about 2 inches apart.
2. Bake the cookies at 350°F for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
3. Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.

*** ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments, questions, suggestions, stories, anything! I would love to hear from you!