November 26, 2011

Oreo Cheesecake

What was one of the first things you've ever cooked or baked? Did it turn out the way you wanted it to? Did you get to share with your family and friends?

I started baking sometime during my last year in high school. The steady courtship of me and baking eventually blossomed into a fruitful love affair.


I remember my first major dessert was an Oreo cheesecake.
No, it wasn't for the sake of experimentation.
No, it wasn't for someone's birthday.
No, it wasn't for myself either.

In fact, I dared to venture into the world of cheesecake all just to participate in a baking contest that was being held at my summer job. I worked so diligently on it, studying the recipe, making sure I got the EXACT brands of ingredients that were listed, yet I actually had no idea what I was doing (kind of). In the end, I thought it came out beautifully. Well, it didn't crack, fall apart, or taste funny. All good enough for me. A masterpiece, if I do say so myself.


Needless to say, my cheesecake didn't take any place. Beaten by a pineapple yellow cake and some pecan crescent cookies. And still, by the end of lunch, all that was left of it were some Oreo crumbs and cream cheese scrapings. Not bad, a proud mama of an Honorable Mention.

Now retired from its competitive days, this cheesecake is kind of special to me. It's my better half's absolute favorite. Ever since I first made it for him, it's the only thing he requests for his birthday every year. I guess the way to a man's heart really is his stomach.

happy super, super, super belated birthday to my better half! :)

Oreo Cheesecake
Makes 16 servings in a 10-inch springform pan

Oreo cheesecake
2 packages (16.6 oz. each) Oreo cookies, divided
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
4 packages (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs

equipment prep:
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Line the springform pan with aluminum foil, with the ends extending over the sides.

make Oreo crust:
1. In a food processor, process 30 cookies until finely ground.
2. Combine ground cookies with melted butter until well mixed.
3. Press mixture on the bottom of the pan and about 1 inch up the sides all around.

make Oreo cheesecake batter:
1. Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract until well blended.
2. Add in the sour cream and mix well.
3. Add in the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until well blended.
4. Chop the rest of the cookies. Incorporate 1-1 1/2 cups into the cheesecake batter and stir in.
5. Pour the Oreo cheesecake batter over the crust. Top with the remaining chopped cookies.

bake:
Bake the cheesecake at 325°F for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and let it cool down at room temperature for about an hour, or until it is no longer warm to the touch. Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight before serving.

enjoy:
Serve yourself a generous slice and couple it with a nice glass of milk. You won't regret it, even when you can't fit into your favorite skinny jeans the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments, questions, suggestions, stories, anything! I would love to hear from you!