June 11, 2012

Carmelitas

Hello friends! I apologize but this is going to be a very short post. I bet you're cheering, though. HAH!

At the start of my vacation I was craving something very sweet, and these carmelitas really hit the spot: caramel, chocolate, and some oatmeal for health (okay not really); you can't go wrong.


This lethal combination was unfortunately highly addicting. I really had to contain myself and I'm glad I'd opt to share a bar every time. Okay, I confess...except for that one time late at night when I could hide my shame in the cloak of darkness. Carmelitas, a tall glass of milk, and Indiana Jones make for very good three amigos.

Carmelitas
Makes 16 squares in a 8x8-inch square pan

ingredients
32 caramel squares, unwrapped
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
6 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

equipment prep:
Preheat oven to 350°F.

make carmelitas:
1. Combine the caramel squares and heavy whipping cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Be sure to consistently stir until both are well combined! Otherwise your caramel may burn when it sticks to the bottom of the saucepan. I had a really close call! Once done, remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter, brown sugar, flour, and oats and mix well.
3. Pat half of the oatmeal mixture into the bottom of your pan. Bake for 10 minutes at 350°F.
4. Remove pan from oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over this crust.
5. Pour the caramel mixture over the chocolate chips.
6. Crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture over the caramel.

final bake:
1. Bake the finalized carmelitas at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned.
2. Let the carmelitas cool completely before cutting. This may take awhile as it takes caramel a long time to completely cool.




enjoy:
Share a square! Because then you'll feel less guilty when reach for that second one. :) Yes, these really are that addicting! My goodness I cannot even begin to describe...you'll see what I mean when you make them. Just be sure to have a tall glass of milk on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments, questions, suggestions, stories, anything! I would love to hear from you!