June 9, 2012

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Upon a recent discovery, let me just say that I think it's so cool that Disney has a blog, AND that they offer awesome recipes too! Awesome ones like this baked potato soup recipe!

You really can't go wrong with Disney...I totally approve!

circa 2008!

I must admit, however, that I didn't always have an amicable relationship with Disney. Nothing too drastic; it's not like we fought, broke up, and then got back together. We just took a break and it was for the best.

A few years ago - uh, actually I think it was over a decade ago! (time really flies) - I participated in an academic event called "History Day," and that year's theme was "Frontiers in History."  My project partners and I thought long and hard about what our theme should be, and happily agreed on the pioneer in animation, Walt Disney himself.

To make a long story short, what started as a fun time researching about Disney's history turned into late night searches, distractions at the Los Angeles Public Library, getting lost on the UCLA campus, and last minute paint jobs and newspaper clippings. Junior high was a tough time. I'm telling you kids, procrastination kills. "I'M NEVER GOING TO DO THAT AGAIN!" Sadly, this was the story of my life all through high school and college. And this was a time before I had proficient computer skills and decent internet too. Scary, isn't it?

I think we had a 2-year break. Our relationship was rekindled when I went to Disney World for a high school marching band trip. Wouldn't you agree that there's just something so magical about Disney World? Even if you haven't been there yet? Yep, it's just so magical. Good people/characters, good food, good vibes.

Anyway, even in this heat of late spring on my lazy vacation day, I really wanted to make this soup. My boyfriend has never had a hearty soup before so I wanted to surprise him. I didn't care that we'd be growing sweat moustaches over dinner. (Hah! That reminded me of this. Just skip to the 8:23 time mark.) It just looked too good to pass up, and I'm sure you guys will agree.


Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Makes 6-8 servings

ingredients
1 pound bacon, roughly chopped
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
3/4 cup diced celery
4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 medium red potatoes, diced
1/4 all purpose flour
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups heavy whipping cream
optional garnishes: chopped chives, bacon bits, sour cream, shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese

make soup:
1. In a 6- to 8-quart stockpot over medium heat, fry the bacon until crispy.
2. Remove bacon and drain on paper towel, reserving half for garnish.
3. In bacon fat, cook the onions, carrots, and celery until the onions are translucent.
4. Add the potatoes and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Bring the heat down to low and whisk in the flour, stirring constantly until the flour has cooked and the mixture has thickened slightly, about 5-7 minutes.
6. Add the chicken stock and half of the bacon. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir until everything is well combined.
7. Over medium-high heat, bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Mash some of the potatoes for a thicker, creamier-textured soup.
8. Add the whipping cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust the thickness of the soup by adding water or stock. The soup should have a creamy consistency.

*notes*
  • To prevent the cut potatoes from browning, soak them in cold water until ready to use.
  • Lightly freeze the bacon to make it easier to chop
  • I found it easier to cook the bacon and vegetables in a skillet first, and then transferring everything to the stockpot for the rest of the steps.
  • Per step 7, the soup was cooked with the stockpot covered. I found this to be helpful.

enjoy:
A hearty bowl will fill you up nicely whether in the dead of winter or the heat of summer. And you can't go wrong with topping it off with some extra bacon and cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments, questions, suggestions, stories, anything! I would love to hear from you!