January 16, 2012

Food Sustainability


Happy 2-plus-weeks-into-the New Year everyone! I hope everyone's year started off wonderfully. Now, I want to begin this year with a short discussion about something that I've begun to develop an interest in sometime towards the end of last year: food sustainability, sustainable eating, and food security.

So are you guys still here? Yeah? Whew...I'm glad I haven't lost your ever undivided attention. Please stay with me here!

stretch of peruvian farmland in the valley

Well, toward the end of my college years I stumbled upon these topics, trends, issues, or whatever they may be called, in desperation of trying to figure out how to make use of combining my anthropology background with my growing interest in food and culture. This interest was only amplified during an archaeological expedition to Peru at the end of my undergraduate career.


some more beautiful peruvian greenery

I have to admit, though, that up until now, I still haven't done anything about it. Nothing at all. Any "research" or "looking into" of such subjects have been grossly superficial with a lack of active participation. Yes, I'm terrible.

some lovely produce, and nice market ladies
However, with a few recent subscriptions to some food magazines, I want to make myself become more aware of and understand how recipes work and also where our foods/ingredients come from. In the particular city I stayed in while in Peru, there was one well-known "open" marketplace that always seemed to have fresh produce, meats, and other foods. I can't really say whether these foods were organic, but I would not be surprised if they were. It kind of reminded me of the farmer's markets that we have throughout Southern California, except this marketplace was essentially a permanent structure. 


grains, potatoes, and other goods

some typical peruvian fruits

So I would like to use this blog space not only to share recipes with you, but to also share discussions and ideas about food sustainability. Hopefully some projects too. Actually, I can only hope that when I look back to this particular post a few months down the line that I've stuck to my aspirations.

fresh fruit juice, daily!

I can't say that I know much or anything about food sustainability at the moment, but I do believe it is just as important as any other areas of environmental sustainability that we are trying to implement and understand in order to preserve our planet. After all, Mother Earth has been home to many living things for oh...a handful of years, give or take. And I'm sure we would all like her to stick around for a couple more years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments, questions, suggestions, stories, anything! I would love to hear from you!