December 12, 2012

Day 3: Butter Pecan Cookies


What a special day in history. Like most everyone else has already noted, Happy 12/12/12! And also, Happy Hump Day! Hooray for Wednesdays! But with this day now over, I definitely can't wait to roll into the weekend.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to for the weekend, though, is my dentist appointment. Usually, going in for a regular check-up is a non-issue. Sometimes I actually enjoy it, getting to leave with a mouth full of extra squeaky clean pearly whites. This time, however, I know I have a cavity that needs to be filled. A cavity. I have never had a cavity before as an adult. Never. And I've only had one cavity in my lifetime; I was 5 years old, if I remember correctly. It just feels daunting having to go in and get a filling. I can only hope I never get another cavity, ever again.


But speaking of cavities, you must be wondering what sweets I have in store for you today on Day 3 of my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies. Go on and relish on these beautiful butter pecan cookies. There is something very simple yet elegant about them. I think it might be the fairy-like sugar dusting...and the pecan surprise in every bite.


Butter Pecan Cookies
Makes about 1 dozen cookies

ingredients
3/4 cup pecans
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
additional granulated sugar, for coating

equipment prep
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line your baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper.

make the dough
1. On a baking sheet, toast the pecans until they are fragrant, about 6 minutes. Let them cool completely, finely chop, and set them aside.
2. Cream together the butter and the 1/3 cup of sugar. Add the vanilla extract and salt.
3. Beat in the flour until everything is just combined.
4. Fold in the pecans.

bake
1. Separate the dough into roughly 12 even pieces. Or if you would prefer, as I did, separate the dough into 2-teaspoon pieces (will yield about 15). Roll each dough piece into a ball and roll each in sugar until completely coated.
2. Place each dough ball on your prepared baking sheet, about 3 inches apart, and gently flatten with a flat surface, such as with the bottom of a drinking glass. (If the sides crack a bit, you can reshape them.) Sprinkle tops with sugar.
3. Bake the cookies at 350°F for about 15 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown.
4. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with more sugar. Allow the cookies to cool completely on a wire rack before enjoying.

*** ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments, questions, suggestions, stories, anything! I would love to hear from you!