October 28, 2011

Hooked on Hooking

I've been having itchy fingers lately and have been wanting to make things. Cute things, wearable things, WINTER THINGS. Fall & winter are my favorite seasons...something about bundling up for the cold or cuddling up with your lover under a hand-crafted afghan on a faux bear rug in front of the crackling fire with a cup of hot cocoa, extra marshmallows of course. Well, not that that's ever happened to me before but a girl can fantasize. So it only makes me a tad bit sad that it doesn't really get that cold in Southern California. BUT, that's not going to stop me from making cute and practical winter wear.

Scarves are a staple in my wardrobe for the cold. My mom always told me to be sure to keep my back and especially my chest/neck area well bundled up. Otherwise, the cold will cause you respiratory problems, mucus build up, hocking coughs, you know all that fun sick stuff. Now, I don't know if there's any truth to this supposed myth, but I do like that warm, fuzzy feeling right there for that much. Another thing I like are things with hoodies. They make your head and face feel all warm and make you look all rosy-cheeked.

So when I discovered this awesomeness of a pattern, a 2-in-1 hoodie scarf/cowl thing, I WANTED TO MAKE. Make real bad. I dropped all aspirations of starting my very first blanket/throw and threw myself into this project blindly. Blindly, I say, BECAUSE...I couldn't get myself to buy the pattern. I'm currently on a tight budget and as much as I wanted to I just...couldn't. The next best thing was for me to figure out the pattern on my own. I had just learned to make the crocodile stitch and was super excited about utilizing it on something, anything. I'll even make you a bracelet or something just because it looks cool.



After a week of figuring things out and unraveling stitches dozens of times, I am a little more than halfway done. HALFWAY! Can you believe that? I can't either.



I am still working furiously on it and I CAN'T WAIT to be done, and I CAN'T WAIT for the weather to get colder so I can wear it! I don't have many long sleeved shirts, so how ridiculous would I look wearing this with a t-shirt? Maybe as ridiculous as those girls that wear mini skirts with Ugg boots. Well, I probably shouldn't judge but you do have to admit either would look ridiculous, but to each their own. I'll be sure to show the final product when I'm done-zo. In the meantime, happy hooking/knitting everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments, questions, suggestions, stories, anything! I would love to hear from you!